Marine Park Rangers
The ranger station perched on the southernmost tip of Tubbataha’s North Atoll is home to a combined team of 10-12 men from the Philippine Navy, Philippine Coast Guard, Municipality of Cagayancillo and the TMO. Stationed for two months at a time, 130 kilometres from the nearest inhabited islands, their job is to protect the park from illegal activities including fishing and collection of other marine life such as top shells (Trochus niloticus).
Their work includes:
- Regular patrols around the park
- Conducting scientific research and monitoring
- Briefing visitors during the dive season
- Surface and underwater cleanups
- Reporting and responding to unusual incidents, like crown-of-thorns starfish infestations.